- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 leeks, thinly sliced
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced
- 6 medium russet potatoes, peeled & chopped
- 8 cups (or more) chicken stock
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup (about 6 oz) crumbled Bleu cheese (Debbie prefers Pt. Reyes brand)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat.
Add leeks and garlic and saute until tender (about 8-10 minutes).
Add potatoes and stock. Simmer until potatoes are tender, stirring occasionally, about 30 minutes
Add whipping cream and blue cheese and stir until cheese melts.
Puree soup in blender in batches.
Return soup to pan.
Thin with additional stock if necessary. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Makes 12 servings. Freezes beautifully.