by Annapet Santos
- 1 pound penne ziti rigate, cooked according to package directions
- (reserving one (1) cup of the pasta cooking water)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 ounces finely diced pancetta (anchovies are my favorite alternative)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup peas
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons snipped chives
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped basil
- 1 tablespoon chopped mint
- kosher salt
- pepper flakes
- diced jalapeno pepper
- Heat olive oil in a large, deep skillet.
- Add the pancetta and cook over moderately high heat, stirring, until just beginning to brown, about 5 minutes. If using anchovies, cook until dissolved in oil
- Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add the peas and toss to coat.
- Add the pasta along with the reserved pasta water and the cheese.
- Season generously with pepper and cook over moderately high heat until the sauce is thick and creamy, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in the chives, parsley, basil, and mint. Serve immediately.