This soup takes almost no time at all!
- 1 cube of butter
- 1 bunch leeks – white parts only, washed and finely sliced
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 butternut squash, peeled and chopped into 1/2 chunks
- ½ tsp thyme
- 2 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp white pepper
- 1 2” piece ginger root peeled and chopped fine
- 1 or 2 potatoes, peeled and chopped (optional)
- 3 cans chicken or vegetable broth (about 6 cups)
- 1 cup Half & Half (optional)
Saute the onion, leeks and ginger with the butter in a large stock pot or Dutch oven until golden. Add the broth, squash and spices and simmer for 30 minutes. Add potatoes, if you are using them, and simmer another 30-45 minutes, until the squash pieces have begun to fall apart and the potatoes are thoroughly cooked. Remove from heat. Partially puree with an immersion blender (carefully, it’s still hot!) Stir in the ½ and ½ to make a creamy version of this soup right before serving.
Both soups kid tested and gobbled. They may not like “squash”, but they love Butternut!