by Shanta Nimbark Sacharoff
In this salad, baby spinach greens mingle with finely chopped textured kale, dotted with shredded carrots, and drizzled with a creamy feta cheese dressing.
- 4 cups of baby spinach leaves, washed and rinsed using a salad spinner
- 2 cups of curly kale, chopped after removing thick stems and being washed and rinsed
- ½ cup grated carrots
- ¼ cup finely crumbled feta cheese (goat feta preferred)
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar or freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- l teaspoon minced mixed fresh herbs such as oregano, tarragon and parsley
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
Prepare the leaves as described above and place them in a salad bowl or on a platter. Mix the dressing ingredients together in a jar with a lid and shake well. (Use a blender or a food processor for a creamier dressing). Drizzle the dressing on the salad just before serving.
Shanta Nimbark Sacharoff, author of Flavors of India: Vegetarian Indian Cuisine lives in San Francisco.
- Place steamer basket or colander into a pot. Add two inches of water to the pot. Keep water below the bottom of the collander or basket.
- Add cleaned and chopped leafy greens
- Bring water to a boil and cover.
- Reduce heat to medium low, keeping the water at a gentle boil.
- Steam for 5-8 minutes. The greens should be soft, yet still slightly crisp when finished.